Regarded as one of the world’s oldest countries, the nation situated at the Horn of Africa is a breathtaking sight.
Ethiopia possesses stunning tourist sites like the Rock-Hewn Church of Lalibela, Gondar, the Danakil Depression, and the Blue Nile Waterfall Wall. It also has in abundance, ancient arts and scenes, mountainous places, deserts, rivers, excellent cuisines, and cultural events; you won’t like to miss the experience.
Citizens from most countries will need to acquire a visa before they can gain entry into Ethiopia. The Ethiopian government has made the process easier by introducing Ethiopian Visa on arrival.
Do you really need a Visa to be allowed into Ethiopia?
Take a look at who needs an Ethiopian visa?
Generally, Suppose you are a person from any country other than Djibouti, which doesn’t require a Visa for up to three months of stay, or Kenya, which doesn’t need a Visa for up to one year stay. In that case, you have to apply for a visa to Ethiopia before you travel.
However, there are a few exemptions.
- Diplomatic and service passport holders: Holders of diplomatic or service passports from countries other than Pakistan or Somalia can travel and stay in Ethiopia for up to three months without a visa.
- Exemptions for travelers going on transit: As long as you are not going to exceed the Addis Ababa Bole International Airport’s transit areas, you can enter Ethiopia without a visa. You must, however, you have to leave the airport within 12 hours.
Having any plans to leave the country’s transit area requires that you apply for Ethiopian Visa on Arrival at the Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Exemptions to Ethiopia Visa On Arrival
Only citizens or travelers with a resident permit from certain countries can be issued Ethiopian Visa On Arrival. Contact the Ethiopian Embassy or Consulate for comprehensive details on this.
To be issued an Ethiopia Visa on Arrival, you’ll need your additional documents concerning the purpose of travel, your passport, and two passport-sized pictures.
However, the Ethiopian government suggests that foreigners should apply for their Visa Online because you will know whether you will be allowed into Ethiopia or not on time. This is to avoid the frustration of having to turn back after you have paid for a flight ticket and reservations in hotels if your application got turned down on arrival.
Types of Ethiopia Visas You can apply for
Ethiopia tourist visa:
It is issued to foreigners visiting Ethiopia for tourism and other purposes not related to business. This Visa can be issued online or on arrival at an embassy or Ethiopian Consulate. It is dependent on your nationality.
Ethiopia business visa:
They are issued to visitors having business-related purposes.
Note: Ethiopia Business Visas have subdivisions. It is left for the traveler to make it known to Ethiopian Embassy or Consulates their business domain, as an Ethiopia business visa corresponding to your business category will be issued to you.
Ethiopia Transit Visa.
Having any plans to leave the country’s transit area requires that you apply for Ethiopia Visa on Arrival at the Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
For more information
These are the documents you’ll need for you to be issued an Ethiopia Visa:
- You’ll need your passport, valid for not less than six months or more and exceeds the period you plan to exit. Also, it should have at least two blank pages.
- Applying online requires a picture containing the personal information page of your passport. It should be scanned.
- Your 35×45 mm (white background) passport-sized pictures are required. If the Ethiopia Visa picture is provided as a soft copy, it must be in JPEG, JPG, PNG, BMP, or GIF format. Picture size must not exceed 2MB.
Extra Documents Required To Obtain Ethiopia Business Visa:
- An Application later from the host company which should be addressed to the Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs of Ethiopia.
- Host company’s business operation license.
- Host company’s Taxpayer Identification Number.
- You’ll provide a legit contract between you and the Ethiopian company you are visiting.
- Suppose the Ethiopian (host company) is an International or Inter-Governmental Organization: Note Verbale from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia should be provided.
- Support Letter from the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Government Communications Office. Note: this is for journalists.
- Documents submitted electronically may be in JPEG, JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, or PDF. Picture size shouldn’t exceed 2MB.
Note: Your picture and the scanned picture of the passport are not supported in PDF format. Ethiopia’s Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs validates the attachment of photographs of your access and picture only if they are readable and also on supported formats.
It is advisable you also contact the Ethiopian Embassy in case there are other details concerning required documents.
Covid-19 Regulations For Entry Into Ethiopia.
Following the Covid-19 outbreak, Ethiopia has taken safety precautions towards immigrants by introducing new requirements to be met before gaining access into the country.
Immigrants must possess proof of negative covid-19 test results not exceeding five days before arrival in Ethiopia. Kids below ten years and people with a diplomatic passport in their possession are exempt from this rule.
Screening on arrival. It includes temperature check, filling of health form and quick interview on accommodation and places visited recently.
Quarantine: Quarantine checks on arrival have been introduced since March 23, 2020. Passengers with negative test results must be quarantined for 7 to 14 days while they keep undergoing the covid-19 test till the end of their quarantine period.
Passengers with Covid-19 symptoms on arrival at Bole International Airport will have to be sent to government-owned isolation centers for them to be cleared. People with positive Covid-19 status are not in any way allowed into the country.
For people on transit during this pandemic, transit time is limited to 72hrs, and they don’t have mandatory quarantine checkups run on them.
Steps To Apply For Ethiopia Visa.
Applying for Ethiopia Visa can be done in three ways.
- At Ethiopia Embassy or Consulate.
- Online. ( EthiopiaeVisa).
- On arrival.
Applying through Ethiopia Embassy or Consulate
Certainly, you’ll have to go through an Ethiopian Embassy for your Visa if:
If you decided to arrive through other entry units and not through Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Other than Djibouti and Kenya, this applies to all other countries)
- Visit Ethiopia Immigration Nationality and Vital Event Agency website to apply through Ethiopia eVisa.
- Indicate the type of Visa you want.
- Fill in trip your trip details (e.i arrival, purpose, departure, and accommodation).
- Fill in your personal data(name, nationality, profession, health condition, address, etc).
- You make attachments of your supporting documents, i.e., a scanned picture of yourself, a scanned copy of your passport, and electronic copies of the documents based on the purpose of your trip.
- Make payments
- Then wait for eVisa processing, which generally lasts for three days.
- You’llYou’ll be notified once the Ethiopia eVisa is approved. It can be through your email address.
It is important to note that citizens from all countries can apply for eVisa.
This will only be tolerated if only they plan to stay for ninety days and enter the country only once. The Ethiopia eVisa is issued only to the visitor that intends to stay for a short period.
Under eighteen applicants won’t be granted an Ethiopia Business Visa, can apply for Ethiopia Visa through Ethiopia eVisa:
Also, a long-term, multiple-entry Ethiopia visa cannot be applied for through Ethiopia eVisa.
You can make payments using a credit or debit card. But you can’t make payment through the above-mentioned means. Once your Visa is certified, you can make payment in cash once you arrive at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
Note: All Visa payments once made cannot be refunded.
And that’s it, quite simple and stress-free right?. So, when will you catch the flight to one of the ancient kingdoms, Ethiopia?
You will not regret it!
4 thoughts on “Ethiopia Visa Application Guide”
This is really apt.
Thanks a whole lot
We are a group of volunteers and starting a new
scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to
work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community
will be thankful to you. https://ufalucky13.com
Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend
to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site. https://wellufa.com
For hottest news you have to go to see world wide web and on internet I
found this web page as a best site for most up-to-date updates.