The Mandela Washington Fellowship Application for Young African Leaders is the flagship program of the U.S. Government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). YALI was created in 2010 and celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2020. The Mandela Washington Fellowship has brought nearly 4,400 young leaders from every country in Sub-Saharan Africa to the United States for academic and leadership training. The Fellows, between the ages of 25 and 35, are accomplished innovators, Changemakers, and leaders in their communities and countries.
Application opens from the 18th of August, 2021, and closes on the 15th of September, 2021. After the application deadline, between November to January 2022, semifinalists would be interviewed by local US embassies and consulates. In March 2022, applicants are notified of their status. In May 2022, finalists begin pre-departure orientation and visa processing. The fellowship begins in mid-June 2022 in the United States.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is open to young African leaders who are;
- Between the ages of 25 and 35 on or before the application deadline, although exceptional applicants ages 21-24 will be considered.
- Not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
- Not employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. embassy or consulate, USAID, or other U.S. Government entity)
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English (additional guidance coming for applicants who are deaf).
- Citizens and residents of any African country
- Not an alumni of Mandela Washington Fellowship.
Criteria for Selection
Selections would be made critically following these criteria;
- Proven record of leadership and accomplishment in business, civic engagement, or public service.
- A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and to respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge of, and professional experience in the preferred sector/track
- A commitment to return to Africa and apply leadership skills and training to benefit the applicant’s country and/or community after they return home.
How to Apply
Follow this link to begin the application process, here
You begin the application by registering, here. Enter your email address and confirm your mail.
Create your account by entering your email and desired password. Then begin your application process.
Signup today for free and be the first to get notified on new updates.