Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Reasons why You Should Not Travel Without a Green Card


If you were planning to travel outside your country then you must rethink your decision in light of the recent developments. Thousands have left their homeland in an effort to make a better life for themselves and their family. While the lure of a new life is attractive, leaving your permanent home country comes with risks. If you are thinking about moving abroad in search of greener pastures, this article explains why staying put might be better for you.

What is a green card?

A green card is a permanent resident card that allows foreign nationals to live and work in the United States on a conditional basis. The USCIS issues green cards to immigrants who have been approved for permanent residence through various visa categories, including family-based petitions, employment-based petitions and humanitarian programs.

If you want to gain permanent residency in the United States, you should know that there are many different options for doing so. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for one of several different types of visas, including the Green Card.

Who can apply for a Green Card?

There are multiple ways to qualify for a Green Card and become a permanent resident of the U.S. The following categories are the most common:

Family-based immigration: If you have family members who are green card holders, you may be able to sponsor them for an immigrant visa or green card through family-based immigration.

Employment-based immigration: If you have skills needed by U.S. employers, you may be able to obtain an employment-based green card through labor certification or employer sponsorship.

Refugee and asylum status: If you are fleeing persecution in your home country due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group, you may be eligible for refugee permanent resident status or asylum in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Eligibility for Green Card

You may be eligible for a green card if you are a:

1. Living lawfully as a permanent resident in the United states.

2. Persons married to a U.S. citizen, or unmarried child under 21 years of age, of a U.S. citizen age 21 or older who live in the united state.

3. Returning resident who has been out of the country for less than a year.

4. Lawful permanent resident who has been employed abroad by the U.S government or U.S.-based company and is returning to the U.S.; or who has been employed abroad by a foreign government and is returning to the U.S., pursuant to an executive order or statute that permits such employment in the United States; or who is returning from temporary duty as a member of the armed forces outside the country

5. In rare cases, persons who have served in the armed forces during certain periods and have performed honorable service may be eligible for naturalization without being required to reside in the United States prior to applying for naturalization.

Requirements for Green cards Application

If you are eligible for a green card, you can apply for one using Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. You must also submit supporting documents that prove your relationship with your U.S. citizen spouse and your own identity, including:

  • Birth certificate;
  • Marriage certificate;
  • Divorce certificate (if previously married);
  • Police clearance certificates (from all countries in which you have lived since age 16);
  • Medical examination/vaccination records; and
  • Other documents as required by USCIS.

Reasons why You Should Not Travel Without a Green Card

The main reason why you need a green card is that it gives you the right to live permanently in the US. The green card is an essential document for anyone who wants to travel outside the United States. You will need it if you plan to return or travel elsewhere in the world.

Traveling outside the united states without the green card can have many negative consequences. Some of these include:

Possible Detention and Deportation

The United States Border Patrol has the right to detain people without a green card who enter the country without inspection, including those with visas and other legal documents. While this is rare, it does happen occasionally. The Border Patrol in charge of the customs and border protection may also decide to deport someone who entered the country illegally or overstayed their visa. This is especially true if you have been arrested for any criminal offense or have previous convictions for certain crimes such as drug trafficking or assault charges.

Difficulty in Obtaining Visas

Even if you already have a visa, it may be difficult for you to renew it after traveling out of the country without permission from USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). In addition, obtaining another type of visa may be impossible unless you return to your home country first and apply for one from there; however, doing so could lead to problems with subsequent applications down the road as well as additional fees

Risk of Denial of Re-entry

If you were denied entry into the US when trying to return after traveling abroad, there is always a chance that this will happen again the next time you try to reenter the country. This could lead to problems with future immigration applications as well as create issues with employers who require employees to travel abroad for business purposes.

This could also affect people who plan on taking family vacations in other countries because they would not be able to go back home easily if something goes wrong during their temporary trip abroad

Ineligibility for Protection and Assistance Abroad

If you are arrested in another country and need help from U.S. officials, your lack of documentation can make it difficult to obtain assistance from cbp officers or other officials at the embassy or consulate.

Challenges with Obtaining Visas for Other Countries

If you plan on traveling to another country without a lawful permanent resident status, obtaining a visa may be more difficult if your immigration status is unknown or if there is no record of your admission into the United States after your last international trip.

Difficulty Resuming Employment and Studies in the US

If you cannot travel back to the United States because you do not have proper documentation or if it takes longer than expected to get your green card, then you may have difficulty resuming your employment or studies in the United States. You will also run into problems if you are trying to get a job, apply for student loans or scholarships, open a bank account, etc.

How to travel while processing your green card

If you are an individual who has applied for a green card, also known as a permanent residency, in the United States and are awaiting approval, you may be wondering if you can leave the U.S during the processing period. The answer is yes, you can travel abroad without your green card, but there are certain rules and procedures you need to follow to ensure a smooth process and minimize any potential issues with your green card application.

Before Traveling

Before traveling out of the US while processing your green card, it is essential to check the status of your application. If your green card has not been approved yet, you should ensure that you have a valid travel document, such as an Advance Parole document, which allows you to re-enter the US if you need to travel. You can also process your permit application at the same time as your green card application or later. You should receive approval for the Advance Parole document before traveling out of the US.

If your green card application has been approved, you should carry a copy of the approval notice with you and your passport. It is important to note that even if your green card has been approved, you should not travel outside of the US for no longer than 6 months duration, as it may affect your status as a permanent resident.

While Traveling

If you’ve departed the U.S while your permanent residency is being processed, it is important to keep your green card approval notice, travel documents, such as your passport and Advance Parole document (if applicable) in a safe place. You should also ensure that you have access to these documents throughout your trip.

If you are traveling to a country where you need a temporary travel visa, it is essential to apply for the visa in advance. You should ensure that you have all the required documents, such as a valid passport, travel itinerary, and proof of financial support, before applying for a visa.

Returning to the US

When returning to the US after traveling while processing your green card, it is important to have all your travel documents with you, including your passport and Advance Parole document (if applicable). You should present these documents to the immigration officer at the port of entry.

If your green card has been approved, you should present the approval notice along with your passport and Advance Parole document. The immigration officer will review your documents and determine if you are eligible to enter the US. If the immigration officer determines that you are eligible, you will be allowed to enter the US and continue the process of obtaining your green card.

If your green card has not been approved yet, it is essential to ensure that your Advance Parole document is still valid. If the document has expired, you will not be allowed to enter the US and may need to reapply for a new Advance Parole document.

what to do if you left your green card in the US.

If you have accidentally forgotten your green card before leaving the United States, it is important to take immediate action to rectify the situation. Here are some steps you can follow:

  1. Contact the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office: If you are still within the United States, you can contact the nearest USCIS office and ask for assistance in obtaining a replacement green card.
  2. Apply for a replacement green card: You can apply for a replacement green card during your temporary absence by submitting Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, along with the required fee and any supporting documentation.
  3. Provide proof of departure: If you have already left the United States, you may need to provide proof of your departure to the USCIS in order to obtain a replacement green card. This could include a copy of your plane ticket or passport stamps.
  4. Consider using a travel document: If you are outside of the United States and unable to obtain a replacement green card, you may want to consider obtaining a reentry permit or advance parole document. This will allow you to reenter the United States legally while your replacement green card is being processed.
  5. Contact a immigration lawyer: If you are experiencing difficulty in obtaining a replacement green card, you may want to consider contacting a immigration lawyer for assistance.

It is important to note that if you are outside of the United States for an extended period of time, your green card may be considered abandoned and your permanent residency status may be in jeopardy. Therefore, it is important to take steps to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

What is Green Card Abandonment?

Green Card Abandonment is a term used to describe the situation of an individual who has been approved to receive lawful permanent residence status in the United States, but fails to take any further steps to obtain it. In other words, the individual has abandoned their status as a lawful permanent resident. This could be due to a variety of factors including not being able to obtain the required documents or simply not wanting to finalize the process or traveling outside the country for too long. 

Individuals that abandon their US green card application have no legal rights or protections in the US and face potential removal from the country if they are discovered. It is important for individuals with approved green card applications to make sure they complete the process in order to gain legal residence status in the US.

Click here for more on travel and immigration.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read more

Check Out