Vietnam is notable for its quality food and extensive caves. If you are looking to visit the country to get a first-hand experience of this country, you will need a Vietnam Visa. Before you proceed with your application, you have to decide what kind of visa you intend to apply for. Nationals of some countries do not need to apply for a pre-approved visa. However, they are only allowed to stay in the country within the Vietnam policy’s duration. Learn about this and more as you dive in!
Do I Need to Apply For Vietnam Visa?
Nationals of some countries enjoy visa-exemption benefits. Find out if you are a national of any of those countries on this list below:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Type of Vietnam Visa
Vietnam visa type is represented in two categories:
- By purpose of visit
- By validity of the visa
There are several types of visas under each of the above categories. You need to understand each visa type before settling for a choice that suits your travel needs.
By Purpose of Visit
Under this category, there are more than 20 types of visas based on the purpose of your visit. However, six visa types under this category are more popular and frequently applied by nationals from other countries. These six visa types are:
1. Tourist Visa
This is also known as a DL visa. The DL visa is issued to those who want to visit the country for tourism purposes only. Tourist visa has further bifurcations such as 1-month single entry visa, 1-month multiple entry visa, 3-months single entry visa, and 3-months multiple entry visas. A tourist can enter Vietnam in three ways:
- Visa on arrival
- Vietnam Embassy Visa
- Vietnam e-visa
2. Business Visa
There are two categories under Business Visa for Vietnam. These categories are as follows:
- DN1 Visa: This visa type is granted to foreign nationals working with other organizations or businesses following the laws of Vietnam.
- DN2 Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals visiting Vietnam to establish a commercial set-up, offer services, or any related activity under the International treaties, which Vietnam is a member country.
Like Tourist visas, a Vietnam Business visa can also be categorized depending on the visa’s duration. These categories are 1-month single entry visa, 1-month multiple entry visa, 3-months single entry visa, 3-months multiple entry visas.
3. Student Visa
Just as the name implies, this visa is for those looking to study a university course in Vietnam. The student visa will be granted to applicants upon arrival in Vietnam. However, before the visa is granted, the student can enter the country with a tourist visa. After gaining entrance to the country, you need to apply for a visa status change once you are enrolled in a university course. Students rely on the agencies to oversee the due process of changing the visa.
4. Working Visa
This visa type is issued to foreigners who arrive in Vietnam for work. The working visa has two categories:
LD1: Issued to foreigners who arrive in the country with a work permit exemption certificate, subjected to the international treaties, which Vietnam is a member.
LD2 – Issued to the foreign nationals who have a work permit to work in Vietnam.
Apart from these popular visa types, there are other categories such as Transit visa, Investor Visa, Diplomatic visa.
- Single entry Visa with 30 days validity
- Single entry Visa with 3-months validity
- Multiple entry Visa with 30 days validity
- Multiple entry visa with 3-months validity
- Multiple entry visa with 6-months validity
- Multiple entry visa with 1-year validity
Vietnam Visa Requirements
The type of visa you apply for determines the documents needed for an application. However, there are some standard documents every applicant needs, irrespective of the visa category of choice.
- Passport with 6-months of validity beyond the date of travel
- Passport-sized photographs based on the specifications mentioned by the Vietnam authority
- Vietnam visa application form
- Proof of paid visa fees
- Any other additional documents required by the Vietnam Embassy/Consulate
Process of Applying for Vietnam Visa
There are three different ways to apply for a Vietnam visa:
- At a Vietnam embassy or consulate by visiting the office
- Online application, (If applicable to your country)
- On arrival post (Get the approval letter online or offline before traveling)
Applying at the consulate
- Connect with the embassy or consulate to get an appointment with them. They would inform you of the documents and other requirements you need to fulfill before attending in person.
- Gather all the required documents.
- Fill the application, submit the documents, and pay the fee.
- Process your application.
- Know your result and collect the passport from the office afterward.
Once your visa is approved, the Vietnam visa and passport will be stamped and ready for Vietnam’s arrival.
Fill the online form: We advise that you fill the application form with your correct details such as Name, DOB, Nationality, Gender, arrival date, and other related information.
Pay the application Fees: The minimum processing fee of $17 needs to be paid, but it might be higher depending on the type of visa you are applying for. You will also need to pay an additional $25 for a single entry and $50 for multiple entries for the visa stamp on arrival. Here is the list of the fee depending on the visa category:
Receive and Print the approval form: Once you submit your application and complete your payments, visa processing begins. If the visa is approved, your approval letter will get to you via mail within two business days. A colored printout of your approval letter should be taken and produced on arrival. Usually, it takes 3-days for a visa and 2-4 days for a visa on arrival
Visa stamp upon arrival: At the arrival port in Vietnam, you need to show your approval letter and get a visa stamp before entering Vietnam borders.
COVID19 Restrictions regarding Vietnam Travel
How much time would it take for my visa to be approved during an emergency?
For an emergency, a visa on arrival can be gotten within 3-4 hours. However, it would be better to consult and apply through an agency in such cases. You will have higher chances of getting quick approval.
Can I extend my Vietnam Visa duration?
You can extend the stay by contacting the Vietnam immigration office for updated regulations regarding the visa extension.
How can I pay my fees for the Vietnam approval letter?
The approval letter fee is nothing, but you need to pay the processing fee right after applying.
Vietnam has been a country of interest due to its rich cultural heritage and business opportunities. To ensure a smooth processing and subsequent visa approval, follow our step by step guide and sail through the application process.
Signup today for free and be the first to get notified on new updates.