Are you an African student looking to further your education in the sustainable energy sector? Look no further! The 2023 EU ECOWAS Scholarship programme is now open for applications. This program provides scholarships for master’s degrees at specialised universities in West Africa, including Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo.
The goal of the program is to improve access to high-quality training in the sustainable energy sector in West Africa and to promote good governance of the sector in the region. The program is open to young professionals (English, French, and Portuguese speaking) from ECOWAS member states who are involved in the energy sector.
Here’s a quick overview of the scholarship:
This program is hosted by the EU, ECOWAS, and British Council
Study abroad opportunity for the student to study in Africa
Open to postgraduate students seeking postgraduate scholarships
Eligible countries: West African Countries
Reward: Full scholarship
Deadline: February 10, 2023
To apply, candidates are encouraged to follow the British Council, European Union, and ECOWAS for information on when applications to their preferred institutions will be opened. Candidates interested in institutions in Senegal and Cape Verde are encouraged to join an FAQ session online for more information about the scholarship.
To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must:
- Be a national of a member state of ECOWAS or Mauritania and be a resident in the ECOWAS region of Mauritania
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division)
- Have undertaken studies at the bachelor’s degree level in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy and environment (including renewable energy and energy efficiency), law, economics, finance, and planning as deemed by the entry requirements of the chosen university
- Work experience in the energy sector in West Africa is an added advantage
- Hold (at least) provisional admission into an approved course of study at the time of scholarship approval
- Commitment to publish at least one practice-oriented research before the end of the programme
- Commitment to start internships within the course of study
There are two types of scholarships available in the program:
Mobile scholarships: Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located outside their country of residence. The scholarship will provide funding for tuition, subsistence, travel, research grant, insurance, and visa.
Stationary scholarships: Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located in their country of residence. The scholarship will take care of scholars’ tuition and research grants, with a small stipend provided for travel and subsistence.
Scholarships will be awarded to a limited number of the best-qualifying people to meet budget restrictions. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If more candidates match the selection criteria than there are places available, they will be ranked according to the results of their last year of study and professional experience.
To apply, candidates will need to provide the following documents for validation:
- Identification cards such as an international passport or a national identity card
- Proof of residency in an ECOWAS country or Mauritania
- A copy of the provisional admission letter from a shortlisted university
- Academic transcripts or certificates obtained
- Any other documents to validate information provided in the application form.
- To apply, use the link provided and carefully read the information in the form description before proceeding to fill out the form. Applicants can change the language of the form (English, French, or Portuguese) in the top right corner.